Monday, January 29, 2007

Why Can't I Be Invincible?

Well folks...two posts in one week! It's your lucky day!

Just feeling a little down and frustrated at the moment and thought I would post. See, two weeks ago John, Chris (good friend of John's) and I went snow skiing. Now, for some of you who have known me for years know that I have had 2 surgeries on my left knee- all for my ACL. Yeah- you can see where this is going...

So we went skiing and all was going well. Beautiful day, beautiful snow, beautiful scenery. We had been down the mountain about 6 times and all was going well. Before we took a lunch break, one more run.


So we get on the ski lift and up we go! Chris on the far left, John in the middle and Amber on the right side. We get to the top and get ready to get off the lift. As we stand up and ski down, I catch the back of John's ski with my left ski and try to turn right. When I do this, my right ski goes right and my left ski stays put. So now I'm starting to do the splits and as I go to fall down- pop. My knee pops out of joint and I am down for the count. Not a comfortable place to be with your head in the snow and your legs in god knows what direction. Luckily between John and the medic at the lift they were able to get my skis off and stand me up. Of course, I totally stopped the entire lift for about 5 minutes. I knew it was hurt and couldn't/wouldn't attempt to ski back down. Jan, the volunteer medic, put me in the sled and skied me down the mountain behind her.






Here I am in the ski patrol station waiting for my make shift, cardboard box, splint to be put together and duck taped to my leg. Since we had taken a shuttle, I spent the rest of the day in the lodge drinking bloody mary's and watching others ski or fall down the mountain.


Today I was finally able to visit the Orthopedic doc who looked at my leg, did a knee exam and said, "Well, I think it's torn again." The fact that I can't straighten my leg could mean two things- 1) the ACL is torn or 2) the meniscus is torn. I go in for a MRI on Friday night...yeah, John and I are having a date with the big loud machine. We'll see what the shows us when I meet with the doc again on Feb 12th. Until then, I'll be hobblin' around and taking the shuttle to class. Anyone want to buy some nice ski pants and goggles?


I'll keep you posted...

No comments: