Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Home Is Where the Heart Is




You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you. ~Frederick Buechner

This is not a new lesson for me, but it was certainly reinforced this past weekend. I've always felt this way about my family since I've lived away from Texas for over 5 years now. My understanding of this has developed into something more given John and I are so far apart. I know my heart is in Oregon, but my body and mind are in Florida. Not always an easy task, but we are managing. Home is where your heart is and friends are the ones who make your world no matter where you are. I'm lucky to have a partner, family and friends who provide that for me.

The trip to Oregon was very fun and much needed. Of course it seemed to fly by. A sneak peek into our adventures can be seen in the pictures I posted above:
1) John and I hiked a 5 mile trail up to a butte overlooking Eugene. A beautiful site both on the way up and from the top. You can see me in "Fern Gully" as we called it on the way up.
2 ) John and I at Crater Lake in the Cascade mountains. It was a little cloudy that day, but the color of the water is the bluest I've ever seen. This is the deepest lake in the US and 7th in the world. The lake was formed when Mt. Mazama erupted over 7,500 years ago and the mountain collapsed into itself, creating the crater that was then filled by water from rainfall and snow melt. We are on the porch of the lodge that sits on the rim of the lake having a cup of hot cocoa.

Well, I've got to get back to my school work. I'm liking my assistantship and classes, as well as getting to know my cohort folks better. I hope that you are well and to hear from you soon! :)

No comments: