Monday, September 26, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

...find out what it means to me. Everyone knows that song and sings it to the top of their lungs. Of course when we sing it, we are thinking to ourselves, "Yeah! I've got it going on. Respect me!"

All too often, and I include myself in this statement, we don't turn that around. Point the finger in the other direction, towards ourselves. It's a hard line to walk- being true to yourself and respecting yourself, while also trying to be respectful of others. Doing what you can in the world to take care of yourself without walking on another person.

Let's just say that in my new environment, there seems to be alot of self respect but not enough respect for others. When I talk about respect, I mean the appreciation and/or tolerance of differences. Not that I am completely new to the culture here, I just haven't lived in it for a while. I sit back to observe and listen to the aspects of the culture. I often find myself in the minority on any myriad of issues. So, I listen more. Try to understand more, ask questions to clarify. Yet, when I try engage the other person in a dialogue about it or discuss something that was offensive I'm met with hostility and the conversations end. I expect more from an educational environment, even more so in higher education, where freedom of thought and the exploration of issues IS the purpose of the institution. Instead, the result is the isolation of people into the pockets of people who think most like them and there is seldom interaction between them.

So, I guess my point is- take the time to hear each other more, discuss more and learn more. There is so much hate, misunderstanding and lack of respect (intentional or not) put out into our world everyday. We each have the power to try and change that. Even if it is in our own little corner of the world.

So, respect yourself and respect others. Peace and Love. I'm off my soap box for the night.

No comments: